In the year 2020, the world will be more connected, wireless networks will connect more machines than people and Machine-to-Machine (M2M) technology will help us to be more energy and cost-efficient, safer and more secure. This is the era of connected intelligence. The number of mobile connections is forecast by the GSM Association to grow to 50 billion by the end of the decade. There will be several trillion wirelessly connected things, according to the Wireless World Research Forum. This increased use of mobile and M2M technology will deliver as much as $100 billion of annual savings thanks to material and energy efficiency savings”
What is M2M?
M2M refers to technologies that allow both wireless and wired systems to communicate with other devices of the same ability. M2M uses a device (such as a sensor or meter) to capture an event (such as temperature, inventory level, etc.), which is relayed through a network (wireless, wired or hybrid) to an application (software program), that translates the captured event into meaningful information. Modern M2M communication has expanded beyond a one-to-one connection and changed into a system of networks that transmits data to personal appliances. The expansion of IP networks across the world has made it far easier for M2M communication to take place and has lessened the amount of power and time necessary for information to be communicated between machines.
Key Features and Benefits
- The M2M function block has been written that in the case of communication failure to the Adroit Agent Server, the data will be time-stamped and stored within the PLC buffer. Buffers are all FIFO and circular. Auto empty of historical buffer (25%, 50%, 75% and 100%).
- Event and Alarm data is transmitted to the SCADA immediately. Communications can be set to live mode which will show real-time data as the site changes.
- The M2M offers efficient communications with cost-effective data transfer costs.
- The PLC can be configured to send data on a time interval when storage buffer limits are reached or manually polled.
- Manage data costs through statistical device transmission data. Process data can be dead-banded at PLC – control and manage the amount of data transmitted.
- The M2M product is a Machine to Machine solution using the Adroit SCADA and the Mitsubishi FX/L/Q series PLC’s for both control and data acquisition. No Master station is required.
- No Fixed IP is necessary on the GPRS network. PLC is the master and is responsible for initiating communications.
- M2M refers to technologies that allow both wireless and wired systems to communicate with other devices of the same ability.
- Full telemetry management from SCADA – no loss of data. Link management – alarm if comms link goes down.